Grants and Fundraising

Grants and Fundraising

There are financial opportunities available to help your playgroup flourish

Local Government Grants

Local councils throughout Victoria offer community grants each year and many Playgroups have successfully applied for these grants. Councils may offer small grants to Playgroups. These are often advertised in the local papers, council websites and give directions as to how to apply.

Playgroup Victoria often advertise grants that are available to Playgroups behind the Member login. If your Playgroup is not incorporated, Playgroup Victoria can provide you with an Auspice letter to support you in the grant application. This service is offered to Playgroup Victoria members. Playgroups receiving money from grants are responsible for using it according to the grants conditions and are accountable for all monies spent.


There are ways for your playgroup to apply for a grant.

Most of the time, councils and other funding bodies will need the money to go to an incorporated organisation or one that is a registered charity. If your playgroup is registered with Playgroup Victoria, we can act as the Auspicing organisation when you apply.  Contact us if you need Playgroup Victoria to Auspice your playgroup.

Great Start Grants

Helping new community playgroups to get up and running.

The $50,000 Great Start Community Playgroup Grant Fund is provided by the Minister for Families and Children. Each year 50 newly established community playgroups receive a grant to purchase equipment and toys and receive access to advice and mentoring to help get their community playgroup up and running. Applications for this grant have closed. Stay tuned for further news.

Looking for fundraising ideas?

As most playgroups are independent and run by volunteers – money matters are important. Playgroups require money for upkeep, bills, rent, insurance, activities and outings. Find some fundraising ideas below!

We are here to help!

Looking for more information and guidance on grants and fundraising?